|Director of Legal Affairs (JA) - Lt Col Daniel Hough|
Advises on legal implications of CAP programs and activities (subject to the constraints imposed by local law on the unauthorized practice of law) to include:
- Interpretation of laws and regulations
- Contracts and agreements
- Real Estate
- Corporate records and organizations
- Relations with local agencies
- Render legal advice and opinions regarding CAP activities as requested
- Assist the unit safety officer in conducting investigations.
- Advise the unit commander and investigating officer on processing complaints in accordance with CAPR 123-2.
- Advise commanders on initiation of termination actions and serve as CAP representative at termination appeals hearings as appropriate.
The legal officer at all levels should be familiar and monitor compliance with the CAP Constitution and Bylaws, CAP regulations, and with 5 U.S.C. 8141, 10 U.S.C. 9441, and 36 U.S.C. 40301-40307.